Monday, August 20, 2012

She did what in WHAT??

My husband and I learned a pretty fun lesson the other day. We were laughing about it again last night and I though I'd share it today. Hopefully it will make you laugh.....

Our girls have a tendency to flood the bathroom at bath time. I'm not talking a little water on the floor, I am talking the whole floor is flooded to the point of the bath mat being saturated. I was beginning to wait for Noah and the animals to float on by any minute....okay, maybe a slight exaggeration- but the flood was out of control!

We had really been impressing on them to be careful or else there would be no more playing in the bathtub, just wash and out. They really do like bath time, so this seemed to work for a couple of days and then we were back to the flood.

Lupe gave them a good talking to one night and explained that they would be disciplined if the bathroom ended up flooded again. He was very optimistic, they had really seemed to listen.

Lupe had gone in to check on them while I was cleaning the kitchen and came out with a pretty disturbed look on his face paired with a quirky smile. I asked him what was wrong, assuming the bathroom must be ankle deep in water...again.

He suppressed his laughter as he explained how he had talked to the girls before they got in the tub that night. I was like, "..so I guess they didn't listen?"

"Um, No. I just went in there to check on them and found Tenly peeing in a cup because she didn't want to get out of the tub to sit on the potty because she would get water on the floor", he finally starting laughing as he shook his head.

I was just standing there with my mouth gaping open, "WHAT!?!?"

We both stood there laughing nervously. Proud that she listened and took us seriously, but horrified by the fact that we communicated "..NO water on the floor.." very well and also skipped over some important issues for our very analytic child.

Lupe backed up and gave the little "..NO water on the floor.." talk again with a few more details and examples.

Now we tell them, a little water on the floor is okay- but only a little.

Needless to say, we threw the cup away and learned a little lesson on communication to a 6 and 4 year old. I love learning lessons from my kids....sometimes!

Oh, and I guess I should brag that my girls have not flooded the bathroom since! H-A-L-L-E-L-U-J-A-H!!

No comments:

Post a Comment